When the heart is heavy

I lost a very dear friend last night. She was taken suddenly and much too soon. When I got the call in the wee hours of the morning my first reaction was disbelief. How could she be gone?

Three days ago we met for our twice weekly Pilates session. We stretched, we talked, we shared our hopes and dreams, our frustrations and our hearts. Just as we always did. How could I know that it would be the last time I'd see her smile, hear her call me, 'hey girlfriend', feel her hug as she went out the door. We've only known each other for two years and in that time, we forged a friendship that felt like it had been there for many years.

Now, I'm looking out the window and watching little Juncos and Chickadees, dancing around in the sunlit snow picking out seeds that have fallen from the hanging feeders. I think to myself, she will never see sunlight again, and suddenly my heart feels as heavy as if someone had filled it full of lead.

We still had a lot to learn about each other but, what I quickly learned about and loved was her gentle nature. She took gentleness and caring to a whole new level. She loved the land as if it was a member of her family and so yes, she'd hug the trees. She loved nature, and had a special love for eagles which made her collect eagle feathers where ever she found them. Her love of land, nature, and animals had a spirituality reminiscent of ancient native culture. Despite a difficult past, she hadn't hardened. She still knew how to love and give of herself to others. Always ready to help, ready to hug, able to radiate kindness and love to all who were drawn into her sphere. She walked on this earth for too short a time but she has left an indelible mark. She will be remembered. She will be missed.

I will miss her deeply. Farewell my friend. Fly with the eagles now.



Comments

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your friend, Connie. What a terrible phone call to pick up. She sounds likes she lived life to the fullest, and you were lucky to share a bit of yours with her. Wish I was there to give you a hug. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear this, Connie. Hugs and prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts